Power Test on 463 300D

25 replies [Last post]
derekfinn
derekfinn's picture
GWOA Groups: Members

Thought some of you might be interested in the power test on my 463 300D. A fairly miserable 89.4 bhp produced at 4953 rpm. Explains why I'm pedal to the floor to overtake the school bus. Still - best 4x4 ever built - must be some kind of addiction. 

I'll post the 606a engine power test once shes in.

Hope the link works. Turn up your sound for best effect. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KVkqt9GPcSA

JASONGDS
JASONGDS's picture
Re: Power Test on 463 300D

Was that at wheels or Flywheel?

I don't think that is too bad for a 20 year old engine, only a 1hp loss per year?

G-Restorations
G-Restorations's picture

Says on the print-out 65BHP at the wheels

Gordon

G-Rertorations

tony.bruegger
tony.bruegger's picture

You can double that for a well set 606 turbo - both Axel and myself have had similar rolling road checks -125 @wheels...we have the print outs.

G-Restorations
G-Restorations's picture
Come on spider we're waiting!!
Spider1V
Spider1V's picture

Ohhh we chatting about BHP? Well, let me tell you a story.......

Mine is about 75 BHP at each driven wheel x that by 4 wheels (because its a 463) and we have a total of about 300 BHP add to that the Hydrogen pack I have (about +20% to the main figure), the leather, wood carpet and pure awesomeness of the MB V8, the fact that I am also the Maj Gen of the Wood, Carpet & Leather Brigade (power Division) and you get a mind numbing number that is just so large I can't fit it on the page!cheeky

As Rolls Royce would say when asking the same question. "It's adequate to do the job you require , Sir"

Spider1V

IanA2
IanA2's picture

Shall I tell you the bhp of my SL60...........smiley

Pistonhead
Pistonhead's picture
GWOA Groups: Committee, Members

Hello Spider1V,

I wouldn't have thought your hydrogen pack to give more power unless you have the figures to prove it. The economy I can accept.

gav.helme
gav.helme's picture

Come on Tony, what does the DD in the Peterbilt kick out and put a stop to all this wood and leather before he starts breathing his own Hydrogen crying

axel
axel's picture

peterbilt detroit diesel has 1200 bhp -proper bhp as those on the open weekend visitors saw and heard!

spider has about 240-250 bhp at the wheels  after trans losses based on 463's drivetrains absorbing 40 +bhp (maybe more) - if he really thinks his extra 60 bhp on top of 300bhp already (20% of 300 bhp) comes from his snake oil dispenser then he has almost certainly been sniffing something. - power is all about delivery and how tall your bar stool is -or you 'think it is'  

G-Restorations
G-Restorations's picture
A V8 G is a bit like a prostitute, good fun in the hills but you wouldn't want to pay for it every day! ;)
gav.helme
gav.helme's picture

HAHA devil

Pick on Spider day cheeky

We should have on every year enlightened

The 24th August yes

We loves ya really broken heart

fcp
fcp's picture

Hey Mike :-)

Agreed, Hydrogen == snake oil.

Sorry spider, but the ECU  re-mapping gave you the improvement IMHO.

I think it could be proved with a simple Lambada sensor too wink

Anyway, HP is irrelevant. Torque is the ability to get power down and is the only meaningful measure of performance as we all know..

now where did I put that popcorn?

P.S. My 606 top end and sump parts order came in from Gav a week or so ago.. Pump just went off to Myna last week and BAE have shipped Holset performance kit.. pics soon (Spider how lucky you feelin' ? ).. LOL wink

gav.helme
gav.helme's picture

Hi Derek

Whens the patient expected back?

How long have we got to get this thread back on track....indecision

What has the 606 come from and is it NA or Turbo?

And finally is it going in stock form or are you having it tweaked?

Gav

axel
axel's picture

you will have 350 bhp + and gawd knows how much tourquage!! 

i am building X2 606a at the moment -do you still want to come over and do a pump fitting and timing crash course ?

it is interesting to see that the frictional losses are fairly consistent on the gwagens being run on various dynometer sets,the torque you have available is as you say the main element that gives the feeling of 'oomph'

just thinking about a 603 engine which may just possibly have 112 bhp (claimed at the crank) it ends up with 65 bhp at  the wheels- so a 617 with just 88 bhp will be under 50 bhp by the time it gets to the road surface - fruity (not) .

i am just changing a 606.962 into a .964 and making the throttle linkage fit the inlet manifold from a n/a 603 g engine basically the same engine you are building but the owner wants 200 hp ish  unlike your monster !

Spider1V
Spider1V's picture

Tish* You lot........ laugh Pick on Spidie day? Well, well, well.... Imagine a world where petrol companies were not greedy and local governments were not either and petrol was say the price it  is in Libya (before the current troubles) or the Middles east.

And I put a filthy, smelly, oil burning diesel, standard or  606 G in front of you, keys hanging off the ignition and right next to it I would place a G with a clean smelling, petrol engine and said no catches,or problems you would all be perfect people and say 'Oh no, we would take the diesel'? I would say that's utter Bull dust!

IF you had the opportunity you would all have a V8 petrol, every single one of you (well with one exception - and you know who you are! cool)

IF you really searched deep into your souls - you are all petrol heads - and you would not consider an oil burner given the chance? angel

When it comes to power and torque remember it is NOTHING without control and one thing I believe is that a G encompasses this perfectly. I just happen to do petrol, I happen to do V8. I use my truck EVERYDAY, rain, snow, wind, sunshine and anything that this country can throw at us. It has sufficient power to lug me and the family around this country and allows me to visit and meet other G Wagen owners, it also take me to events that I plan  for members, that some members with diesels can't even make it to........ maybe its too cold, or by the time they get to 50 MPH two weeks have past? Maybe I am one of the very few people, who views value and experience over price? Don;t get me wrong and before someone kick's off and takes me or anything I have written seriously, I just happen to like my V8's, my 5 ltrs, I like snake oil, I like trying new things that means I can keep hold of my G that little bit longer, I like meeting other G's and see what people do to them (though I draw the line at the ART conversions)  my wood, leather and know that not only can I go places some people can only dream of I can do it in both style and a V8 Roar and not sounding like a bag of chisels being shaken in a card board box........ cool

'Nuff said!

Spider1V

Spider1V
Spider1V's picture

Hmmmm... maybe, but whats the matter in your garage, if your spending so much time monitoring whats in mine? coolcheeky

Spider1V

derekfinn
derekfinn's picture

Yah... thought that thread might provoke commentary.

Spider -nice comeback - Just because you prefer V8 power with nice leather interior while majority of us strangle the life out of the steering wheel to get the diesel lump to move.... 

The other solution for the diesel brigade was to close the windows when driving on the non rationale assumption that it might reduce wind drag and increase engine performance. I've tried both options but finally resort to turning up the radio and holding the slow lane. 

You stick to your guns Spider.. Leather, lots of power and petrol - nice combo in any ones book. smiley

Another year or two and I might have that 500 off you yet !! 

Spider1V
Spider1V's picture

yescheekycool

Spider1V

tony.bruegger
tony.bruegger's picture

A couple of Sunday afternoon comments on this thread - 

From USA " Detroit Diesels are like young girls - make a lot of noise around town - NO good when you get them up in the hills "

Torque [talk ha] is all you need - auto's are flattered by multipication ratio of convertor but only off the line

Turbo diesels set up right simply have a lot more of it - THAT is what gives you enjoyable driveability

Again from USA - " Get up and go - Got up and went "

[ I could go on and on ....and on ]

G-Restorations
G-Restorations's picture
derekfinn
derekfinn's picture

Hi Gav

Patient not back until mid October ish.

Its a 606 from E300 turbo diesel and tweaked to the max !!!

gav.helme
gav.helme's picture

Sounds sweet smiley

G-Restorations
G-Restorations's picture
Has he done conversions before? Gordon G-Restorations
fcp
fcp's picture

What 'tweaking' ?

Spider1V
Spider1V's picture

well when I do it, it involves the wife, some grease and the kids away for the weekend......

Spider1V