From OM617 to OM603

2 replies [Last post]
bocaj
bocaj's picture
GWOA Groups: Members

Hi G Friends,

My old OM617 engine seems very tired so I would like to do an upgrade for the OM603 engine.

I have read a lot of threads on the internet and I have come to the conclusion that it is doable - even with my skills :-)

But which engine/gearbox setup should I go for? Will a OM603.912/717.433 gear box  from a W124 300D fit in the G and what about gear ratios?

Regards
Jacob

tony.bruegger
tony.bruegger's picture
Re: From OM617 to OM603

Hello Jacob...check axels recent post regarding an open weekend on the various engine swaps for the G...you should attend or visit. Just a few comments. The 603 is a handsome [sweet ] 6 - in africa its called the engine that never dies - however it wont give much benefit for a lot of work in non turbo form , turbos were not sold in UK.
      By FAR the best for every day use and ease of conversion is the 20v turbo 605 2.5..For £350-750.you can buy a complete running 95-99 car [ manuals hard to find, makes life much easier,auto electronic ,have to use previous generation autobox if thats your thing.]
If you can only find auto 250td's its no sweat  all 60# series 5 speed boxes can be used with the right flywheel/clutch [first motion shafts have two lengths] Some need an adaptor flange made £150-250.
Injection pump ? You need a manual pump as on a 617 ,best is 662 musso turbo pump.You also need to fit a large intercooler as per an earlier posting of mine...

SO ,go for 5 cylinder turbo , 662 or 605 ,factory mounts ,no conflict with steering , shock towers, alternator , [ aircon also easy ]
 Why not 6 cylinder....its possible [ see axels pics ] but tight and a turbo flange has to be fabricated for the 606 - however it is a wonderful powerful conversion.

bocaj
bocaj's picture
Re: From OM617 to OM603

Thanks for your reply Tony.

I have now found a OM603.960 engine from a 92 W124 300 Turbo diesel.

As i understand it the following changes should be done:

Engine mounts should be changed to fit the 603 engine
Oil sump should be cut and welded to give acess to the diff. housing.

What about the electrics - preheater, rev counter, speedometer?

Does the OM603 has an engine control unit?

Jacob