OM606 NA

17 replies [Last post]
LEEU
LEEU's picture

Has anybody ever fitted one of these out of a 124? It is supposed to be mechanical, but it requires 6 wires and my car only have 4. Everything is done, the car is even washed, but I can't get it to start.

Pleeeeeeeaaaassssss, I need some help!

Thanks
Christo

mjkirk
mjkirk's picture
GWOA Groups: Members
Re: OM606 NA

Hi, do you have any pics of the pump and its electrical connections? I have one of these engines sat here, not fitted it into anything yet, but when I bought it I had it running on the floor to check it was ok, didn't need to connect anything to the pump at all, but from memory it only has 2 terminals on the pump, on the back, on a red unit which stabilises idle (I think).  I did just try and have a look, but where it is I can't see much. Post a pic or 2 if possible, and myself or someone else may be able to help.

Roly
Roly's picture

Where do the 6 wires go? Are they all coming from the FI pump or other places as well. What 4 did you have connected previously

LEEU
LEEU's picture

I will take some pictures tomorrow, thanks for the help guys, I've got hope again now.

hus55
hus55's picture

hi there christo.

i am suprised to say the least as a friend of mine recently fitted the 606na to his 460 with no trouble at all.  another friend of mine here runs 463 with the same engine. again, no problems at all. read us your pump numbers and also check the engine number for us. its strange you have those wires coming off the IP like on a 606a!!!!!

dont worry, you should be up and running pretty soon mate.

waiting for the pics.

[i will try and see my friend here in the village with recently fitted 606na. i will see what his pump is like.

rgds hus

LEEU
LEEU's picture

Someone in the US did the same conversion and assured me that if I just take out the whole loom and hide it under the bonnet it will run, but that sounds a bit "botch job" to me.

If I can convince you to buy my monster turbo engine Huss, I can afford to get a auto spark to take a look at it. Go on, I'm sure you need every one of thos 260 horses.

hus55
hus55's picture

hi christo, tell me more about these horses ! are they arabian, italian or red indian,,,,!!

what you heard from the US sounds a botch to me too !! theres something else with your problem....

rgds hus

needamerc
needamerc's picture

Monster turbo engine for sale? Tell me more.
Eddie.
info@needamerc.com

mjkirk
mjkirk's picture

Did you manage to get it going?

LEEU
LEEU's picture

Ok, it is Running!!!! 

I now have a problem that I struggle to get the fuel to the diesel pump. Work, work, work!

Anybody know if the 463's have an auxiliary fuel pump?

Pistonhead
Pistonhead's picture
GWOA Groups: Committee, Members

Hello Christo,

The W 463 has no auxiliary fuel pump.  If you say there is no fuel coming to the pump, then use a small vessel to contain a reasonable amount of fuel and pipe that directly to the pump inlet, if the engine runs then you have a fuel blockage of sorts in between, or in the tank.

The fuel level sender is a long tube from which fuel is drawn from, to feed the pump; these do clog up.  Remove, strip and clean.  Check the fuel lines and add anti bacterial additives to fight any possible build up of bacteria.  Access for the sender unit is from the rear floor area, the carpeting has to be lifted.

Cheers,

LEEU
LEEU's picture

Thanks Rakesh

My car does however not get its fuel through the fuel gauge sender unit. There is only one pipe connected to it, and that seems like a breather.

The diesel feed is not blocked; I blew some air through it without a problem. The problem is that if I use a hand pump to pump the fuel through to the engine, it starts as it should, and runs beautifully, but if left for a while, all the fuel is gone, and the engine wouldn’t start without being pumped manually again.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Pistonhead
Pistonhead's picture
GWOA Groups: Committee, Members

That suggests to me that you have a small air leak, not big enough to give problems whilst runing, but as you say, left over time air leaks in.  Make sure the fuel hoses are tight, double check the fuel filter seal(s).

Russ280
Russ280's picture

Lift pump? Located on side of injection pump.

Or try this:
http://www.peachparts.com/shopforum/diesel-discussion/247039-fuel-inject...

LEEU
LEEU's picture

Took the car for a proper test today, and I am pleasantly surprised with the new engine. Unfortunately it didn't give me a lot more on the highway, but I think all the extra power is low down. the 603 need to be revved quite a bit to get any life from it, but the 606 has a lot of low down torque. All of a sudden I can do obstacles without it sounding like a rally car.

Up the lane to my house I used to have to keep the revs above 3000 to be able to get to the top in 2nd, if it dropped below that I had to switch to 1st. With the new engine I can stop in 2nd and still go up as fast as I want. The engine sounds a bit more thoroughly than the 603, and it would be interesting what the fuel consumption is like.

Would I recommend it? Not unless you do a lot of off-roading. For the same money you can get a turbo engine, and it would make a big difference on the highway.
Would I fit a turbo next time? No, this engine is not fast, but exactly what I enjoy in a 4x4.

The conversion is not as simple as everybody make you believe, the list is to long for this discussion, but anyone interested can contact me for some advice.

Total cost? The whole job had cost me over £2000, the engine was 500. I replaced the viscous fan, waterpump, hoses, thermostat, radiator, and a lot more.

Spider1V
Spider1V's picture

*sigh* Just get a 500 :)

Spider1V

fcp
fcp's picture

Hi,

Sounds like a very interesting project! Your are in Wales, so this was a RHD vehicle? People have told me about the clearance problems associated with fitting turbo engines to RHD but this 606 was NA I see - would the turbo have gone in do you think?

And gearing - you kept the existing box or switched that too?

Appreciate it was a big  task, but any chance of listing the main items/ steps you had to take (any pics too?).

LEEU
LEEU's picture

The sump needs to be swopped, waterpump needs to be swopped, but in order to fit 1 hole needs plugged and another drilled and tapped in the block, fan switched over, throttle assembly made to accommodate the 2 different systems, new bracket made to make AC pump fit, 124 car brake booster, which means all new brake pipes, new exhaust made to fit onto manifold, electrician needed to make the 606 pump work, air filter box needs making, and a few other small items.

None of these things are major, but if everybody tells you it is straight forward, and you discover one after the other, it gets really annoying.

The turbo engine will have the same mod’s, and the only extra would be to make the manifold. The guy who made my exhaust said he would be able to modify the original to work.