OM606 300TD wont start...

13 replies [Last post]
EM-G
EM-G's picture
GWOA Groups: Members

Hi guys,

My OM606 300TD '97 wont start...
Last night wen i parked the car the "low fuel"light was on.
This morning when i wanted the G it would not start.. it tries but it wont start.
I put  14 litres of diesel in it and tried again, but still the same problem..
I've also tried to boost the car with a booster but the battery is 100% ( replaced a  month a go.

I've you guys have any idea iwould please reply...

greets Erwin

mark
mark's picture
GWOA Groups: Committee, Members
Re: OM606 300TD wont start...

Glow plugs all ok?
Unless you did a lot of miles with fuel light on, I can't imagine that being a problem, 70 miles + say.

I have had a similar problem though, very low fuel and parked sloping backwards. They take a fair bit of turning to bleed them if fuel is the problem.

Mr.Sav
Mr.Sav's picture

had a similar problem back in August - low fuel and parked backwards - had to get the AA out to start it after putting about 25litres of diesel in. the AA sprayed some kind of aerosol starter fuel into the air filter and that eventually got it going.
keep us posted.

stig
stig's picture

You just need to get the air out, it will go eventually, just don't cook the starter trying. I think Merc say not more than 1 minute continuous cranking, that's a long time though. Let it cool for a minute or so after each try. You DO NOT need to use spray in the inlet. You could loosen an injector pipe to help it bleed, you only need half a turn of the nut, once it starts, close the pipe again.

rocstaman
rocstaman's picture

Is this a common fault?
Mine has cut out several times going up hills-1988 300GD/M2 617 engine?
Certainly points to fuelstarvation fine on flat/downhill
Tomorrow I will change all filters but wondering if there is inherent fault with injector pump -anything to do with cut off valve activating when it shouldnt?
Hascanybody else had thisproblem?

phileas
phileas's picture

Agree with Stig. It will eventually start - I ran my W201 300TD virtually dry and it took quite a lot of cranking to start it up again, but start it did (with a bit of smoke at first to add visual effects). The other issue I've come across is that the o-ring seals in the fuel lines sometimes get leaky (It happened to mine when it was about 12 years old) and suck in too much air. Again, once found, it was just a matter of replacing them and away it went. Good luck/ph

phileas
phileas's picture

hi roctaman. before going to the injector pump have a look at the fuel lines. If it is anything like the 606 engine, you might have leaky o-rings and air is getting into the system (I assume you've checked the glow plugs/fuel filter/injectors/etc) let us know how you get on/ph

rocstaman
rocstaman's picture

Think I'm going to check pick up on end of sender in tank-sludge etc seems favourite- especially before i replace all filters..
Will do  all tomorrow and let you know

stig
stig's picture

Agree with phileas, it can be o rings on any of the pipes between lift pump and filter housing then to Inj. pump. What you described initially though with fuel light on pointed to simple fuel depletion and sucking air in. However, I have had problems with a Merc car in the past where when the tank got low, it would take air in. I was convinced that there must be a hole in the tank pick up, but on that car, the pipe came from the bottom of the tank, so it couldn't have been. In the end, it was just an o ring in the shut off solenoid on the side of the pump. The low tank level effectively creates more negative pressure in the pipe lines when the tank level is low, which will make it suck air in when sitting not running. However EM-G, I still reckon you probably plain simple ran out of diesel! Get in bled and running, if it does it again, then worry about it. As for the rocstamans OM617, sounds like plain fuel starvation as well, injector pump I doubt it, IMHO.

rocstaman
rocstaman's picture

It was fuel starvation-filter on end of fuel line into tank was TOTALLY clogged up -amazes it ran at all-also crap in in line filter since changed for CLEAR one..
photo 1 as it came out..
photo 2after cleaning with petrol and air line...
photo 3 in line filter replaced with clear one..

phileas
phileas's picture

wow. I'd better check my filters! Never seen one so clogged up! bet you're happy though that it is nothing more than this.

rocstaman
rocstaman's picture

Yes..Very!
not normally so lucky-it only took 30 mins-well worth checking
Many thanks for all advice and replies..

EM-G
EM-G's picture

Hi Guys,

Thanx for all the advice!!! Glad too see that the GWOA forum is still alive and kicking!

So,  finally today i've got the OM606 starting!
On this engine there is no manually fuel pump too bleed the system...
I saw in the fuel line( running from the Pre filter)  that there where air bubles running when i cranked the engine.

What i did was a little trick that from friend of mine:
- filled the tank up with 115-20 litres of Diesel
- i disconeccted the air filter
- got a Booster connected to the battery to give enough juice
- sprayed a little bit of Ether ( aerosol ) in the air inlet
- at the same time i cranked the engine
- after a couple atempts trying to cranked the eninge it started!!! and the system bleeded i't self.
* the only negativ where a couple of alarms like EBV, Brake pads etc.. after i drove i while and restarted the engine they where gone.

With kind regards
Erwin

jasonatouchofclass (not verified)
jasonatouchofclass's picture

Worth checking how much fuel in tank. If its broken ( The Internal Pick up) which you can't really check unless you take fuel sender out, you need more than 25 litres in there. Or thats what happened to me,now sorted luckily!! Causing lots of running out up hills etc. Now sortewd though