OM603 Cylinder Head

4 replies [Last post]
Pink Panzer
Pink Panzer's picture

Hi All
I'm after a replacement cylinder head for my OM603.931 engine in my G. I'm pretty sure there is a crack in the one I've got (it's getting really hot and the cooling system becomes pressurised with gas). As far as I can tell the head is the same across all the naturally aspirated versions of the 3 Litre OM603(.912,.913,.931), Now the part no. which is printed on the side of the head casting is A602 016 16 01 which equates to A603 010 55 20 in the EPC. There is a later part no. in the EPC A603 010 95 20, I was wondering if anyone knew the part no. printed on this head? I'm going to contact some salvage yards and see if I can find a head in good condition that’s not cracked with the same no. as mine or greater(though not a turbo head), hopefully I'll find one as the new head is £££ from MB.
Also has anyone ever heard of these heads being repaired? A mechanic I know says he’s seen one repaired with TIG welding (cutting out the crack, welding and then machining back). Take a look at this… http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JBkgJNEStxo&feature=player_embedded
I’ve also got an idea of the bits and pieces to replace when I put on the new head. Have I missed anything…?Cylinder head bolts
Head gasket set
Intake and exhaust manifold gaskets
Rocker cover gasket
Inlet and outlet valve guides(if worn)
Valve stem seals
Heater plugs

Thanks All

Adrian

LEEU
LEEU's picture
Re: OM603 Cylinder Head

It might be cheaper and easier to just change the engine. I have a spare engine with a head in good condition, and I am changing my current engine soon, so you could listen too it if interested.

Pistonhead
Pistonhead's picture
GWOA Groups: Committee, Members

Hello Adrian,

The only way you can know of a cylinder head crack is by removing the cylinder head (C/h), the cooling system can become pressurised by a blown head gasket, there need not be a crack necessarily.

If your vehicle is of high mileage, i.e. over 80,000 miles, and if there is a lot of valve stem wear, I would consider a remanufactured head. This is a virtualy new head to level and inspections a local machince shop could not achieve.

Look at and research for your self the sites on the Url address provided.

http://search.aol.co.uk/aol/search?s_it=topsearchbox.search&v_t=aoluk-ho...

I have dealt with Vége UK on several occassions and I have had no complaints of their work.

In your list of parts, you may want to consider the renewal of chain sliders, which are accessable by the head removal. It is worth the effort newing the exhaust nuts as well, over time these errode away and if any work needs doing latter, without a proper fit the socket can slip making work difficult. The same applies to the studs, renew as necessary.

cheers,

kennedy Mutongerwa
kennedy Mutongerwa's picture

I am looking for a diesel engineto replace a petrol one  for GE230   (460)

Pink Panzer
Pink Panzer's picture

Well thanks All

I'll pull it apart, see what the deal is and report back.  Obviously it would be a lot better if it's just the gasket that has failed.

Cheers

Adrian