Not a G engine; OM648

6 replies [Last post]
lphong
lphong's picture
GWOA Groups: Members

I am thinking about a W211 with an OM648 under the hood. Could anybody tell me more about this engine? The things that I would like to know are: construction (cast or forged), reliability and common problems. 

Also any information about whether if the w211 is a good buy would also be much appreciated. I have almost no knowledge in any MBs except for the 463, 124 and 129. 

Thanks!!

Pok

prwales
prwales's picture
Re: Not a G engine; OM648

probably a better bet to ask a Merc forum, its predecessor the w210 is a horror and all pre 2004 cars rust like Lancia's from the 1970-s

bigblock
bigblock's picture
GWOA Groups: Committee, Members

You want to stay away from the earlier cars 2003-2005 if possible, these were the ones with most of the problems,  rusty chassis and leaking injectors etc. I think the later cars had resolved these problems but they are still not built like the Mercedes of old.

Modern diesel engines are no longer designed to last forever, their function is to last for a prescribed life cycle and then give up  as is the modern day car. They can be made lighter and of cheaper materials because they have a finite life span and are not expected to be re-built just thrown away 

I spent a bit of time looking at the this model of E class a few years ago because I liked the extra seat option in the boot of the estate.  I think it is a decent looking vehicle and certainly a better buy than the earlier W210. 

prwales
prwales's picture

Hi Pok,
why not treat yourself to a w124 500e, lhd is no problem for you and near 20 mpg is close to a ge300, classy car, in its day the worlds best sports saloon and arguably still one of the best!

Paul

Spider1V
Spider1V's picture

Would have to agree with PRW. Great classic!

Spider1V

lphong
lphong's picture

Hmmm, I have a 500SL (M119 as well) for about a year now... Great fun! Just wanted to add a newer diesel under 4k for long trips, which I may have to do a few this year.

otiswesty
otiswesty's picture

The om648 is very different fron the om642 used in Gclass 320/350 cdi or bluetech. After 2006, the Eclass went to the V6 as well. The 648 is an inline 6 cyl with a cast iron block and aluminum head. The 642 is a V6 with all aluminum case and head. It seems to me that the I6 648 would be more durable by virtue of its construction and also would be easier to work on as it would take up much less space in the engine bay than a V6.

We have a 2006 e320cdi with the om648 and love the car. We bought it new and it currently has 48K miles. My wife does get a little upset when I occcasionally mention that the motor will end up in a Gwagen someday.indecision