No gear selection - '87 300GD

8 replies [Last post]
Stew-Em
Stew-Em's picture
GWOA Groups: Members

Hi All,
Life with an old(ish) G is always fun... After a weekend with lots of driving for family wedding etc was  heading to the garage this morning to replace (repair?)  leaking fuel pipe that results in both dripping, especially when pointed downhill, but also allows air into the fuel system that is creating start-up issues. Unfortunately I only have street parking otherwise probably writing here for further advice on this topic...

Anyway, reversed 1 yard but then have not been able to select any further gear. Can move gear stick, but not exit reverse (talking manual box). As on the way to work (put bike in back as cycle etc, G is used for 'fun' only) not had much chance to check thoroughly but linkages appeared to be OK with no obvious 'loose'connections. Any suggestions? No previous indication of any problems. At least this didn't occur during all my wedding duties?!? All original parts to my knowledge, 65K miles, again no paperwork to confirm but judging by overall condition reasonable.

Please someone tell me this is a straightforward (lost spring/worn bushes - EXTERNAL) - don't go ruining my day!!!

Thanks
Stewart

Pistonhead
Pistonhead's picture
GWOA Groups: Committee, Members
Re: No gear selection - '87 300GD

Hello Stewart,

The most common failures in gear selection on manuals' is the gear selector bushes.

There are basically two sizes; the front bush of the selector rod is larger than the rear and in total, there are, I think, six bushes.  Check with your dealer; I, unfortunately do not have these numbers showing on the Russian EPC site, which I now use since it does not cost anything.

If the bushes check out fine, then you have a problem, which will need further discussion.

Cheers,

Stew-Em
Stew-Em's picture

Hi Rakesh,

This was my suspicion - have seen threads to similar effect "...the jamming is caused by a rod end going "overcentre" creating a mechanical lock.... " fixwin38 Dec 2010.
This would make sense as 25 years old, perished rubber and probably exacerbated by recent heat (something of a shock for the UK!). Not sure of the degree of fettling now required but as matter of course would make sense to replace bushes.
Cheers,
Stewart

mgrays
mgrays's picture

They did this new in 1987.. normally jammed you in 3rd gear while selector is jammed in 1st/2nd plane (presuming a Getrag 5 speed). A good belt sideways away from driver fixed it but over time bent the gearstick so you have to pull it towards you to straighen it. Better solution is grovel on back and pull levers at gearbox end into neutral from under car. Fixes are;
1. new bushes
2. clean up gearshift and regrease it (take off central console and strip/rebuild shifter)
3. Align gearshift. you put a 4-5mm dowel/drill in to hold the gearstick end rods in place then adjust the rods until the levers are sitting "neutral" in the bushes (rod aligns everything at gearstick end in neutral).
4. Live with fact that these linkages never did work perfect if you were rough on them.. so fit a van/granny box instead! (but shift on that is not so delicate).. if you had a 4 speed MB box then it should be better.

Stew-Em
Stew-Em's picture

Ah, mgrays you have just answered my next question...

Obtained replacement bushes as suspected this may have been issue (£1.80 a pop from MB, parts guy said sold nearly 300 of these last year...), managed to replace front three (those nearest the getrag 5 speed manual unit) and 1 was awol - hence 'likely' cause.

Next question was then how do i get the gearbox to 'unlock'. Didn't want to be to aggresive but it appears the time has come to go and get physical huh?

Tally ho.

Stew-Em
Stew-Em's picture

A few minor expletives emerged from under the G but shortly an 'ah-ha' moment. Life with the Getrag continues...
Thanks all. Now just to re-book fuel pipe repair/replacement!

perennial
perennial's picture

your openion are good, when we changed manullay gear it working great and saving fuel compare gear less vechical.

inkblotz
inkblotz's picture

Stewart,

For a smoother shift remove the shifter box (the one that the your stick shift is attached to). There are several plastic bushes in there that wear out and break causing pieces to float about in the mechanism. The rebuild is pretty straight forward and the results are amazing. I did it on my 83 300GD. It shifts like new.

Mark

Stew-Em
Stew-Em's picture

Cheers - may consider it but at the moment "ain't broke - don't fix it" is current mantra. Well, I may be tempted to have a quick inspection...
Stewart