Mercedes GE230 2.9 td conversion (Ssangyong Musso)

7 replies [Last post]
a.t.h.watts
a.t.h.watts's picture
GWOA Groups: Members

Hello.

I own a ge230 with a 5 speed gearbox that is powered by a W124 diesel. The engine I find is working to hard. What I would like to do is fit the 2.9td from a Ssangyong Musso (made by Mercedes). As far as im aware the engine is very simple, lacking electronic fueling systems and readily available.

What im not sure about is whether this will bolt straight to the gearbox and chassis rails and which clutch to use.

Are there any other things to consider before attempting the project?

Thanks.

prwales
prwales's picture
Re: Mercedes GE230 2.9 td conversion (Ssangyong Musso)

both the diesel engines available to the w124 were more powerful than the standard 5 cylinder diesel fitted to the 460 g-wagen, though only marginally so with the 4 cylinder 250. Could this this a gearing issue rather than power? The 6 cylinder diesel of the w124 300D is a particularly well regarded engine. It would be easier to change your final drive than engine and g/box.

a.t.h.watts
a.t.h.watts's picture

The engine fitted at the moment is the  2.5 diesel naturally aspirated.( thats what I was told by the former owner). Its ok but lacks torque on steep hills etc. I have to drive the engine relatively hard and keep to revs up. Im very new to the G wagen so have not as yet looked at transmission.

Thanks.

hus55
hus55's picture

hi there,main issue here is wether the starter on your existing gearbox is on the left or not ? if it is , the 2.9 td should bolt straight on. if the gearbox you have fitted is the original one used with the 250D it should be code number 717-411. that gearbox is good for 300bhp so i found out the other day.... the 2.9td was only offered with auto however. but it will go great with a manual, much better in my opinion.

i and a friend of mine are currently installing this engine into g wagens here in n cyprus.a diesel G is a snail without a turbo.

just ask mick the digger, he will tell ya !

good luck !! and dont look back.....

prwales
prwales's picture

this engine is widely used in the military versions of the g-wagen, though these are lighter. It could be that its still using the 230 petrol engines final drive ratio, changing this to that of the 300gd might help your problem, don't ever expect it to be quick though as with nigh on 2 tonnes, the engine has a lot of bulk to shift around.

a.t.h.watts
a.t.h.watts's picture

I was told the gearbox was standard Ge230 ( originally a 2.3 petrol). Would you recommend changing the gearbox to suit the engine, along the lines of fitting a GD 250 box. I would prefer to have a strong combination. From information I have found on the internet the engine and gearbox can be fitted with very little fabrication work, using existing mounts off other production vehicles. Is this true?

Yes I agree with you, PRwales. These feel really heavy. Got too say that I have really enjoyed owning and driving it so far. I live in a very hilly area and it is struggling.

prwales
prwales's picture
mjkirk
mjkirk's picture

Hi, sounds like the engine you have is a 5 cylinder 250d engine, very similar in horsepower to a 300gd W460 at circa 88hp. Yes they are desperateley underpowered. A W124 6 cylinder 300d engine is better at just a bit over 100hp, but although a good engine, still not great performance wise. The 2.9 TD I think is about 120hp, so better alround, and has the same block dimensions as your 250d so will bolt in without trouble. I'd use whatever clutch, flywheel  and gearbox you already have, you may have to swap the sump? Also make sure your exhaust is big enough bore so it can breath properly. This conversion could be done relativley cheaply. Also, and more importantly than horsepower, with a turbo engine you get much, much, more torque, which is what a 2 ton dead weight needs to keep it moving! If you want more power still you have to go to the E class turbo diesel engines and tackle the electronics or swap the injection pump etc. The gearing did vary in W460's depending on which model it was, but not by enough to worry about in my opinion, if you have enough power it won't be a problem.