M103 Starter Motor

4 replies [Last post]
garwell11
garwell11's picture
GWOA Groups: Members

OK So is it just me or is the starter motor on my 300GEL impossibly hard to remove?????

was the designer a sadist?  any thoughts would be gratefully received.  I really dont want to have to take the inlet manifold off!

Pistonhead
Pistonhead's picture
GWOA Groups: Committee, Members
Re: M103 Starter Motor

I do wish I could win the lottery and start my own garage, I was sure before drafting you this reply, that the starter motor sat on the off side, but checking against the EPC; I stand corrected, it sits on the near side.

Not having my hand in the trade, I amaze myself on the amount I am forgetting.

Any how, your best bet to remove the starter, is to work from underneath the vehicle but use long extension bars with uj sockets or adaptors.  Do prop your vehicle using appropriate axle stands and work to health and safety requirements, if you can not, let a professional garage do the work.

As a measure, if you think your starter is difficult to remove, you want to try and remove one from a G400 Diesel.

Good luck,

garwell11
garwell11's picture
GWOA Groups: Members

hi rakesh im only just down the road in leicester so if you get bored tomorrow   ha ha .

i decided to get the inlet manifold off so the job half done as the light went.  I sold my garage and ramps.  big mistake!!!

thanks for the advice

giles

M2dxb
M2dxb's picture

What a pain! But as Rakesh says with long extensions (the wobbly type) you can get to the 2 bolts from below the car, and then removing the oil temperature sender (I think that's what it is, it is basically the bit right next to the oil filter housing) gives you just enough space to pull it up from above (at least it did in my case). I think I also disconnected the heavy gauge lines from it to make removal easier. Btw. this is an excellent upper and lower arm workout ;-)

You might spill a tiny bit of oil in the process, but I certainly didn't need to get the manifold off, maybe just the support that sits below it (you can feel around for the screws that hold it on).

Pistonhead
Pistonhead's picture
GWOA Groups: Committee, Members

Reply to thread number 2:

Hello Giles,

Generally speaking,  I have no objections to help you out but given my condition, I can not work on vehicles particularly crawling under them. If I do manage that it would take four times as long for me to do any task.

If you want the starter motor reconditioned, I would recommend Greens on
256 Victoria Road, East.
LE5 0LF.

Tel: 0116 2460688

Cheers,