m103 engine distributer fault ??

9 replies [Last post]
crummle
crummle's picture
GWOA Groups: Members

Just had a scare!!
My 463 1991 g300 auto-M103 engined- was not used for a couple of weeks (but garaged)
Took it for a run , after a couple of miles parked up and while revesing into a parking space it stalled and would not re -start
left it for about 10 minutes and it started but only ran for about a minute then died again
called RAC -ha ha -not only did we have the" mmm havent worked on one of these" remarks but because I mentioned that the fuel pump had been 
whining for a while he said "well thats it then it must be the fuel pump getting hot then breaking down "
He of course would NOT tow me as the g300 was "too heavey"  so i waited for ONTIME to take me to MERC commercials at Brentford) I know the guys there as they look after my Vito and my C320 estate
anyway as you all must know Mercedes service guys really want to plug ther computer into the car and let the car tell them what is wrong with it
well the 463 needs a bit more skill than that - I will give them their due ,the fact that the fault left a strong smell of unburnt fuel left them looking at electrical rater then fuel pump issues-mmm -crankshaft position sensor was a posibility-but they had no real way of testing it-
they persevered and looked at the distributer and found it and the rotor arm to be in bad shape-they have replaced them and I have just drove it the 6 miles back home and all appears OK (infact she seems to be a little more responsive to throttle ) 
I will keep my fingers crossed that it is not anything more worrying -but hope my friends on the GWOA might put in their thoughts 
cheers 
Chris murrell

gav.helme
gav.helme's picture
Re: m103 engine distributer fault ??

Hi

I dont know about stopping you worrying but when i worked in the MB car dealerships (1987 - 2002) and these engines were common and fitted to everything in the range from 190 to E Class to S Class to SL to G Wagen
We used to sell more rotor arms and distributor caps than we did spark plugs and oil filters.
I think at one point we used to change them as part of the major service every 36000 miles!!!

So if it has cured your real fault...i dont know?

If somebody more technicial will come up with other possibiities...i dont know?

Are you on the right track and put one of the engine weak spots to bed...then yes!!!!

I just hope you used MB parts as we used to have nothing but problems with cheap after market parts and people used to
have 2 or 3 fitted sometimes before they came and bought the right one and cured the fault. Not only the cost of the parts
lost and the labour and inconvienience of taking it to the garage but the usual mis diagnosis once the first one was fitted
that they were OK and something else more expensive must be faulty!!! OK RANT OVER!!!

Sounds like you have yourself a good and helpful dealer there.. spread the word...CV dealers RULE!!!!

Cheers

prwales
prwales's picture

very common fault, well worth carrying a spare and the appropriate allen key, worth familiarising yourself with the proceedure too, as it only takes a couple of minutes to change a rotor arm.

Pistonhead
Pistonhead's picture
GWOA Groups: Committee, Members

Distributor and rotor arm burn out is quite common on the OM103 engine.  In my experience as a mechanic is between 70,000 to 80,000 miles, these should be checked and renewed as necessary in between those mileages.

Admittedly, the check does not appear on the service maintaince schedule.  Which I do not agree with.  I am sure, some at Mercedes would say "Well, you are not a Mercedes Technician, are you?"

You do not have worries from that front for another 70,000 miles.

As far as the breakdown and amazingly the Mercedes Benz mechanics, sorry Technicians are concerned, it is a matter of shame that they had forgotten the fundamentals of diagnosis, listen to all complaints, do not be taken by out side suggestions, follow up your own instincts.

Fundamentals here is classic and that was to establish either an electrical or fuel fault.  What is easiest?  Check for a spark straight away, it follows on the distributor and rotary arm should have been the next on check list.  Plug-into the computer will not even point to a distributor fault.  These systems are not that good.

Cheers,

gav.helme
gav.helme's picture

I agree with Rakesh entirely!!!!!!

And i see it first hand everyday in our dealerships.............Firstly.........It is far too easy to plug the computer in and see what it says............... at best it is only a guide......................at worst it can be a complete red herring if you have not checked the BASICS .....................Basics first thats why they are called that? .....Never over look the obvious and simplist options.........99% of the time they will cure your issue or at least put you on the right path to its discovery...........and Secondly.......Just because you have found a fault or faulty item dont just fix or replace it
If you dont understand why the fault is there or why the faulty item has failed you may not get to the root cause and have a repeat failure of the part or even worse next time........the expense and inconvienience just keep rising....................another rant over......................calm,calm

LEONIDAS
LEONIDAS's picture

Ditto this. Mine conked out at 75,000 miles. RAC called in, diagnosed problem immediately, temporarily cured it with some WD40 and car started right away. I followed RAC's mechanic advice and changed the rotor arm and cap. No recurring problems since then.  It seems that I was one of the fortunate ones to come across a smart mechanic who perhaps new the problems of these engines.

hus55
hus55's picture

must be that time of year ! my G300 also suffered the same symptomns recently after an off stalling issue which recently became more consisitent !! i booked it in to the mercedes benz main dealership in south cyprus . i must emphasise that the service team there  are the most highly dedicated G loving/knowing group of people i have ever met. they know the G wagen better than any dealership anywhere in the world !!!!

i hope to collect my G next week. [ i am not looking forward to the bill however.....]

happy motoring guys !

hus

hus55
hus55's picture

must be that time of year ! my G300 also suffered the same symptomns recently after an off stalling issue which recently became more consisitent !! i booked it in to the mercedes benz main dealership in south cyprus . i must emphasise that the service team there  are the most highly dedicated G loving/knowing group of people i have ever met. they know the G wagen better than any dealership anywhere in the world !!!!

i hope to collect my G next week. [ i am not looking forward to the bill however.....]

happy motoring guys !

hus

M2dxb
M2dxb's picture

Keep us posted Huss, would be interesting to see what the Cyprus G experts say on the issue...

hus55
hus55's picture

will do my friend