GD350 OM603.972 Intercooler?

2 replies [Last post]
arvalente
arvalente's picture

Hi,

I wonder if anybody already tried to fit an intercooler to a 3.5TD OM603.972?

Is it expactable to improve something in power?

could it improve a bit also reliability?

BR

Antonio

JASONGDS
JASONGDS's picture
GWOA Groups: Members
Re: GD350 OM603.972 Intercooler?

Sure someone with more knowledge than myself will advise but, intercooler will help in hotter temperatures, no extra power unless fueling increased?

I don't think it will affect reliability in any way, unless engine working less hard with increased fueling?

Pistonhead
Pistonhead's picture
GWOA Groups: Committee, Members
Re: GD350 OM603.972 Intercooler?

Intercoolers ability to improve power output is dependent on its size - it has to be massive. Effectively there is very little in terms of power increase but fitted more to reduce thermal stress on the engine when under prolonged loads or in hotter climes.

Air temperature increases after its been churned through the turbo and with that, the air density reduces hence reduces the volumetric efficiency (in lay  terms reduces the ability to fill the cylinder).  Intercooler reduce the air temperature hence increases the air density and improve volumetric efficiency - that equates to improved power.

In order to intercool your motor involves in a lot of pipework from the turbo to intercooler to inlet manifold and find space to house the intercooler. Conventionally, these are housed infront of the coolant radiator but taking the example of the Japanese who love miniaturising things, use a small intercooler mounted on the engines rocker cover and air ducts protruding out of the bonnet. 

If you are using your vehicle for short town runs and the occasional offroading, it may not be viable to intercool. If you are in mountainous terrain and drive with heavy loads and in live in hot climate, then it could be worth your while but it is not going to be cheap.

I have a small footage that lays down principles of gauge fitting.