Front muffler box 280GE

2 replies [Last post]
charliecam
charliecam's picture
GWOA Groups: Members

Hello fellow members- the front muffler n my old G has seen better days and here is a question; if I had it removed and just have a straight pipe from the manifold to the back muffler; would the performance/fuel consumption be compromised or would the only difference be in a lauder exhaust sound. I have been told that the performance would not suffer but would value comments from anyone out there who may have done away with the front box.

Thanks

Henry    

axel
axel's picture
Re: Front muffler box 280GE

hi henry , i spoke to you the other day about this and i suggested you take the vehicle to a custom exhaust installer /fabricator (there are places that do this all over the country) we have two in the south west area . they will be able to make you a full system in stainless using two silencer boxes  , you can possibly use just one box it will work but the silencer under the transfer box is fed by the pair of down pipes from the the m110 engine and it will serve to create the correct back pressure in the system ,a good fabricator will be able to mimic the o/e system and it will be so much cheaper than buying merc genuine parts and it will be stainless steel . the exhaust place i use spends a huge amount of time putting 'sections' into existing good systems that have had a localised failure ie. one cat failure or collapsed internals in one silencer box ,they cut the pipes and fit a new section saving £££'s on an amg  merc system like the c36 amg i saw them replacing a broken /damaged cat set while i had a g there the other day (for a custom side pipe system).

ChrisG
ChrisG's picture
Re: Front muffler box 280GE

Hi Henry

I've been running my 280GE without the front box for years. I don't have accurate comparative fuel consumption figures but I can tell you that it is certainly louder. Has a real 'burble' now. My son loves it - sounds like a V8 at idle! Until recent tyre change fuel consumption was c20mpg on a run if that helps. 5 speed manual on 245/75/16 MT's. As to performance, it certainly 'sounds' more powerful and having been a teenager in the '60's I've always believed that fitting a 'straight-through' exhaust was a good performance mod!! The 2.8 petrol engine needs to be revved for power and getting the gasses through faster must help.

Chris