Fan Pulley Removal 603

4 replies [Last post]
JASONGDS
JASONGDS's picture
GWOA Groups: Members

I am trying to renew the tensioner on my my 603 engine, tensioner loose, but won't come off untill I can remove the fan pulley. At present belt removed and tensione finger tight , and fan removed, though I can't find a way of stopping the fan from turning. Should I re asemble and that should provide enough gripo to loosen the hex( 8MM?) that hods the fan on? Or is there a good way of gripping pulley without damaging it?

Pistonhead
Pistonhead's picture
GWOA Groups: Committee, Members
Re: Fan Pulley Removal 603

Hello JASONGDS,

If memory serves me right, there should be a hole either, on the right side of the pump body (as you look into the engine) or at the bottom (six o'clock position).  The idea to lock the pump, is, to insert a small screw driver or a shaft of some sort into the hole, turn the fan until the shaft locks.

I think there is a 5mm or 6mm Allen head screw in the centre of the viscous fan that you undo.  I can not remember if this is a normal right thread or a left hand thread.

I hope I am right about this.  If not, then try and post any photos, of the area, if you can.

Cheers,

JASONGDS
JASONGDS's picture

I couldn't see anyholes to lock it up with, its removing the Viscous hub that is the problem at the moment. I am going to put belt back on to see if the drag of the belt will enable me to loosen the hex bolt. I hope thread is conventional or else I will be making things worse!

Pistonhead
Pistonhead's picture
GWOA Groups: Committee, Members

Your job is a little awkward as result then.  There is infact a special pulley tool to hold the pulley.

To improvise, use a large pair of water pump pliers, opened out to fit the pulley wheel.  Obviously, you will need to use a thin but adequately sized of packing of sorts, rag, old auxiliary belt to sandwich between the pliers and pulley to protect it and get an assistant to hold the pulley with the pliers best as possible.

Whilst the pulley is choked in this manner, undo your viscous fan - centre bolt or Allen screw.

Cheers,

JASONGDS
JASONGDS's picture

Job done, I had to put belt back on then find high quality 8MM Allen key , rather than a bit. The use of  a  hammer and a piece of wood finally shocked it loose.Glad to report thread is conventional, engine now a lot quieter