The Axel-Burg 606.962 G conversion

8 replies [Last post]
tony.bruegger
tony.bruegger's picture
GWOA Groups: Members

Have been asked by my neighbour to post a preliminary report on the upgrade to his 280 petrol 460.These are just my musings so may not be accurate. Micheal will I'm sure produce the definative report c/w dimensions and part no's .MOT and test run 3.3.12 . My seat of the pants guestimate is c.200bhp with manual pump and 1 deg retard for safety. Truck is v quiet at all rpm. Pulls strong from 1800 in top 4 gears [ CLK 6 speed box ] quite driveable from 1100 with no judder .Of course there is more to come in time.
Pictures show straight foward fit , NO interferance with 460 shock tower even after lowering mounts [ more for appearance in engine bay ,not needed in installation terms. Turbo turned 90' with simple flange adaptor ,Iveco 3.5t van i/cooler in front of rad with wider 51mm core fitted +reposition - see brackets. Inner wings cut out for turbo pipework  and made good .
    better pics with next report , fuel ,top speed etc.

Login or register to view attached files
Pistonhead
Pistonhead's picture
GWOA Groups: Committee, Members
Re: The Axel-Burg 606.962 G conversion

Hello tony.breugger,

An excellent and tidy conversion.  My hats off to the convertor - well done.

Cheers,

peter perfect
peter perfect's picture

sweet

Brutus
Brutus's picture

Mmmmmmmmm

hus55
hus55's picture

axel [mike] definately knows what hes doing ! i exchanged several emilas with him recently and i slaute the bloke he knows alot we can learn....rgds hus

phileas
phileas's picture

Fantastic job. Well done. Very neat: respect!

How do you find the under-the-bonnet temperature with no heat shield on the turbo by the way: is it OK?

hus55
hus55's picture

hi ph. now thats an interesting issue you have just brought up. can you tell me more on this? cyprus is extremely hot in the summer. what are the effects of the turbo heat ? high engine temps, lack of power etc.. would an exhaust temp gauge be benificial do you think.

do you have a photo of the heat shield in position on your G ?

rgds hus

phileas
phileas's picture

Hi Huss

Will hopefully have some time this weekend and try to take those picks of my e- and g- class stock 606 set-ups. The Gs is heat shielded as the air box is immediately above the turbo (as per the conversion). The point is that if the intake air is very hot, the intercooler obviously cools the air, but maybe not as much as one would like which would in turn means you don't get all the power you want. Maybe if the turbo is heatshielded Tony's friend could start with cooler air and get even better power/torque. Just a thought.

Ph

mjkirk
mjkirk's picture

That does look good, keep the pics and info coming, it might encourage me to finnish mine!