617 Oil pressure switch?

4 replies [Last post]
Steve Kirk
Steve Kirk's picture
GWOA Groups: Members

OK Chaps where is the O/P switch on this engine...........i've looked everywhere. Got an oil pressure gauge to fit so need to know where to tap into.

Cheers
Steve

Pistonhead
Pistonhead's picture
GWOA Groups: Committee, Members
Re: 617 Oil pressure switch?

Hello Steve,

The position of your oil pressure switch will depend upon the type of oil filter housing you have.

If you have the single bolt mounting through a filter cup, fastened from underneath, I do not know at the moment.
If you have the filter housing, where the top comes off with a much longer filter cartridge, then the oil pressure switch is at the bottom of the housing.  The oil pressure could be considered to be in an awkward position.  Looking from the top of the filter housing, the oil pressure switch can be viewed at the back and bottom of the oil filter housing.

For more information, I hope Gav.Helme may offer help, I have a limited access to information from the EPC site I use.  I use this site in order to save the club license fees for the subscription to use the Mercedes portal.

If you are still having problems, get back in touch and I will find a way to preserver further.

Regards,

fcp
fcp's picture

Hi Steve,

I just replaced my oil pressure switch on the 300GD I have (OM617 5-cyl diesel).

Picture attached. As Rakesh says, if the oil filter is a big cannister number that looks like this, then it is at the back. Quite tricky to get at - O think it is a 13mm - articulated ratchet spanner is easiest.

Good luck.

Ben

(Note to everyone - my engine does not look like that any more - I soba blast cleaned it with the body off ! ;-) )

gav.helme
gav.helme's picture

Hi Steve

Bens picture is pretty much how your chassis number lists it.

I have attached the EPC picture

ITEM 266 Part Number A004 542 59 17 £20.80 + vat MBUK have stock

I would suggest that this picture is only for identification and the part looks more like FCP’s photo

Gav

Steve Kirk
Steve Kirk's picture

Thank you everyone for the quick replys, i think i may make up a remote extension pipe to aid fitting the second O/P sender unit.

Thanks again.
Steve