463 Wheels on 460

17 replies [Last post]
fcp
fcp's picture
GWOA Groups: Members

I've been thinking about replacing the 15" CW/ Bobbet rims and 33" BFG MTs I have for a while as they quite are noisy on road (although good if you are off.  

Yesterday I bought the set of 16s Ashtroths that Howard had for sale which I plan to fit a set of BFG 275/85" ATs to. 

I know that they will need a set of spacers for a standard axel 460 - does anyone have any reccomendations for spacer width ? (I know that 25mm is the minimum).

I'm also after at least one more rim as a spare (actually I need 3 by next year, but for now just one would do) - visual condition not too important as I'll get them all re-finished in black anyway.

Steve Kirk
Steve Kirk's picture
Re: 463 Wheels on 460

I got a set of spacers last year from these chaps in Germany .......nicely engineered  and fitted fine...60mm per axle.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Spurverbreiterung-4x-60mm-Mercedes-G-Modell-46...

Steve

fcp
fcp's picture

Thanks Steve - 60mm per axel seems a lot, but I don't really have a feel for how much offset the Ashtroths will need with a set of  285/75s will need in order to remain within the line of the arches I have (which are ORC suplied so perhaps I should ask them!)

Steve Kirk
Steve Kirk's picture

Thats 60 mm per AXLE ...not 60mm per wheel ....the spacers are only 30mm each

Steve

bigblock
bigblock's picture
GWOA Groups: Committee, Members

I assume the new wheels are the normal ET63 back spacing and are seven and a half inches wide. Normally a 30mm spacer would give enough clearance of the steering arm but with the wider 285 section tyres I think you would need to fit the wheel and tyre with a mocked up 30mm spacer on the front then turn it to full lock and see if the tyre wall is clear of obstruction.

fcp
fcp's picture

I think you are right that is what I will have to do. The current 15s/ 33 MTs (obviously) do clear steering and I had thought about taking measurements from those. There isn't a huge margin for error though and offering it up is the way to be sure.

alanmackay4256
alanmackay4256's picture

just as a matter of intrest , are there any other wheels that fit the G , like landrover et all. as they may be a bit more avalable and well just cheaper. i really ment this as a new post, i will repost , sorry

prwales
prwales's picture

you can fit landrover wheels with adapters these are around the £200 mark they also act as spacers and will put an additional strain on the wheel bearings

http://www.rakeway.co.uk/page34.html

montreal
montreal's picture

Good timing...I've been looking at the current model w463 wheels and thinking about getting the look on my w460. I see that they use 18 or 20" inch wheels fitted with 265/60 or 275/50 tyres on the 20". I understand that any wheels I found would have to have the correct offset and pcd for mounting and would use spacers or not. Would anyone know what 'normal' mercedes car wheels fit in these sizes?  I saw these  18" ones on Ebay 270834097381but the guys says they dont fit G's. he has a list of tons of Merc cars that they do fit as standard so i guess they may fit with spacers.2nd question is what is the tallest section(HEIGHT) receommend for the 265 wide tyre? 70,75 80 perhaps? i'd like to fit a big wheel and tyre but with a balnce for handling and being able to get in without a step. Also to reduce cruising rpm's.   

bigblock
bigblock's picture
GWOA Groups: Committee, Members

The G Wagon has an unusual PCD  of 5/130 so wheels from Mercedes range of saloon cars will not fit that bolt pattern. 

There are a few other vehicles with a 5/130bolt pattern, Porsche Cayenne, VW Touraeg, VW LT Van, Mercedes Sprinter Van. However you need to check the  center hole is the correct 84.1mm size.

You can buy adapters with a different PCD that fit onto the hubs which will allow you a bigger choice of wheels.

montreal
montreal's picture

Ok . Is a Vito van a Sprinter van and would the wheel fit straight on?

prwales
prwales's picture

no, its not and they won't swap

fcp
fcp's picture

Why should spacers put extra load on the wheel bearings in this case?

If you think about it, the moment of force isn't actually changed vs a wheel with the correct offset . All the spacer is doing is making up for the offset that the new wheel otherwise lacks.

Of course that wouln't be the case if you were adding spacers to increase the overal offset (i.e. make the distance between the wheels wider than would otherwise be on the factory spec vehicle) - which of course what most other people are doing when the add spacers to a vehicle (to improve handling ususally) and where the idea that 'spacers are bad' has its roots.

prwales
prwales's picture

Adding an adapter has the same effect as using a spacer and needs to be taken into account, plus using spacers and adapters will imply the use of non- standard wheels. I.E neither tested nor recommended by the manufacturer.

fcp
fcp's picture

Sure, but as I say the offset overall in many casese remains consistent so I can't see why it should be a problem

- Fitting 463 Ashtroths to my 460 with 30mm spacers for example sets the wheels at exactly the same spacing as they are with MB supplied 460 alloys. I can't see how there is any substantive difference unless the offset changes the geometry i.e. overall width.

As to the point about tested or recommended - well so what? Factory spec in 198x might have been OK, but we've had 30 years of technology and improvement since then.

Of course it is conceivable that one still might fit inferior wheels.. but equally a set of Hutchinson billet beadlocks leave anything MB makes standing, so I don't think that should be a reason not to fit something else in and of itself.

Roly
Roly's picture
http://www.rubicon-trail.com/G-Class/wheels/start.html

The above website provides useful information on the different wheel options

montreal
montreal's picture

Thanks for the link. The only ones missing are the current 18 and 20" G wheel options but this is great.

prwales
prwales's picture

The query was about fitting wheels from other manufacturers, that don't actually fit G-wagens and therefore need adapters. My point was that not only do these play an adapter role but also act as spacers too. I don't have a problem with spacers as such provided you have long enough bolts but adapters are bolted onto existing bolts and this is an entirely different strain and not designed for...but if you are happy with that, good luck