460 rear tail pipe removal

5 replies [Last post]
w4hsa
w4hsa's picture

Morning all,

before I get filthy and dirty looking can anyone tell me what's involved in removing the rear tailpipe on my 460 280GE?  Does the tank need to be dropped? 

Mine gas started blowing above the tank - should I get a replacment pipe from Mercedes (cost???)  or perhaps another supplier? or look to reroute to exit infront of rear wheel?

Anybosy got a picture/workshop manual page?

Any thoughts / advice appreciated.

cheers Andy

fixwin38
fixwin38's picture
GWOA Groups: Members
Re: 460 rear tail pipe removal

Hi Andy
age and decay in that area results in corroded nuts and difficulty in removing the old tail pipe from the silencer pipe outlet ..the new pipe from MB ( crafted to the profile over the tank) so not available from exhaust suppliers ) was around GBP 100 at my last count ..if the silencer and the rest of the system is in "good condition" then a new tail pipe is the way to go..give MB your vin number as the pipes are different for the 230GE and 300D.. POWERFLOW Exhausts will fabricate a new system to exit in front of the drivers side rear wheel in stainless steel for under GBP 400..your nearest franchise operator is within 40 miles.....

w4hsa
w4hsa's picture

Thanks Fixwin, most helpful.

I have receipt for a complete exhaust about 8 years ago (previous owner) approx £1100 fitted gulp....but no part numbers.

Can you tell me if the rear tail pipe is easy to remove once unbolted from silencer?

cheers Andy

fixwin38
fixwin38's picture
GWOA Groups: Members

Hi
If the bracket bolts undo freely it  is relatively easy to jiggle the pipe past the bumper**** make sure when you fit the new one to bandage it with loft insulation or plumbers wrap in the tunnel section  (use wire not cable ties) and line it up to give maximum clearance  from the fuel tank all round ....""especially if you have a plastic tank""

w4hsa
w4hsa's picture

Cheers Fixwin,  that has cheered up my Sunday (not having to drop the tank)....hopefully

w4hsa
w4hsa's picture

Anybody got a good spare tailpipe?