460 Ragtop

10 replies [Last post]
Grendle
Grendle's picture
GWOA Groups: Members

Any one got some pics of the back of a soft top G in origional condition? Looks like they can be fitted with a rear seat...how are the seat belts set up? I'm told they wern't imported with seats but mine has all the fittings. What are the two bars about on both rear archers?

Cheers

Grendle

needamerc
needamerc's picture
Re: 460 Ragtop

Here's mine:
https://picasaweb.google.com/gilmartin.eddie/300GDSoftTop#53383703077753...
It is a standard UK spec, never had seats.
I was also wondering what the rails are for. I have never tried to fit a standard W460 SWB rear bench seat but it seems to me that it should fit straight in if you have the mounting brackets. Not sure how seat belts would work.
Are the rails for a sliding bench version??

Eddie.

fixwin38
fixwin38's picture

Hi
the body integral pads  with the locator domes that support the rear base of the seat are not fitted or the hard points for  attaching the latching of the seat back....seat belt side frames can be taken from a standard SWB  ( these will stick up if you drive with the canopy removed) but the seat belt floor attachments are not tapped or drilled ...all you have is the seat base pivot points for tilting the seat forward and for some strange reason the ashtrays in the side trim cards and centre console  then there is the spare wheel re location ( originally behind the passenger seat) it appears that the two rails on the inner arches are to stop loose loads damaging the floorcovering / arch structure

Grendle
Grendle's picture

Nice Truck Eddy thanks for sharing. I'll have to tidy mine up a tad!"

Thanks for that fixwin, I'll not chase a rear seat for it.

Cheers 

Grendle

fixwin38
fixwin38's picture

Hi
there is a green  460 300GD ragtop on Ebay and I researched the vin number  it is a genuine cabrio not a pickup... you can see the integral  floor supports for the rear seat and no rubbing rails on the wheel arches FYI there where only 3  RHD Cabrio versions officially imported into the UK... this is one of them

prwales
prwales's picture

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Mercedes-G-Wagon-/190553810949?pt=Automobiles_UK&h...

Rust in the rear and on the A pillars, looks taty to be honest but still cheap at more than that price

Grendle
Grendle's picture

Saw it on E Bay didn't notice will look when not at work! Mine has all the seat fittings...interesting! Just deciding what to to with mine.....enen I have to admit 3 G wagens on the drive and a Zaffy is a bit much.......especialy when I have to move all to get my boat out of the garage. Must learn to count to 100 before buying G's!!

prwales
prwales's picture

up to £2,000 with an hour to go, I think thats a lot of money given its condition

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Mercedes-G-Wagon-/190553810949?pt=Automobiles_UK&h...

Indy G
Indy G's picture

Apart for that you have stated what is the diference between the cabrio/ pickup ragtops?
Plus I had seen a real fine example from our friend Huss a while back which had the bench and rear folding seats?
Also would you know what is the best way to repair the canvas?
Is there no way of installing a lock for the rear folding door?
Not having much luck attaching photos since over 1mb?

Indy G
Indy G's picture

https://picasaweb.google.com/102789578325217009433/SoftTop?authkey=Gv1sRgCO-egeviisuhUQ
photos above link
Whats the best way to attach the alloy wheel at the back where the steel wheel hangs since it will not go straight on for some reason?
Any idea what the red triangle box is for?

fixwin38
fixwin38's picture

Hi
that wheel problem is because they never came with alloys  or arches --only steels