400CDI versus 300TD versus 606 conversion?

5 replies [Last post]
montreal
montreal's picture

Well....I'm looking for opinions regarding which is best to upgrade to.

My criteria are value for money, re-sale value, driving experience and MPG.

I use my car mainly on road in a hilly area but also tow small trailer and drive (at speed) on the motorway. I do go off road but any 'G' can handle where I go.

I plan to run it sometimes on Veg oil and I know that the 400CDI is not suitable but it's not a must have.

Any problems with this big V8 engine long term?

I dont mind left hand drive but does anyone have experience of bringing a lefty in from Europe, insuring and registering? Any problems or big costs. I know speedo has to be changed and lights adjusted at least.

I'm looking at cars upto the £18k mark in the EU and it will be alot less than this (including my 280ge original cost) for a 606 w460 conversion.

Would my very original 1984 280ge still be desirable to G people in 5 years time with a 606 fitted or should I 'upgrade' now to a factory w463 turbo diesel and leave my car as the factory intended?? Oh...and dont suggest a 350TD please.

Spider1V
Spider1V's picture
GWOA Groups: Members
Re: 400CDI versus 300TD versus 606 conversion?

VFM on a G????? cheeky

V8 Problems - PM a member called Gooch, he has had one. From what I understand there can be a few, but they are very nice trucks.

300TD - A very capable machine and can take a change in fuels, but a good condition one will be holding its value.

606 conversion - Only ever been out in one, and would say if you looking for something close to a V8 performance with better MPG, well worth considering. 

HTH

Spider1V

dd460
dd460's picture

What would be the cost of a 606 conversion. Any ideas?

montreal
montreal's picture

Yes Mr. V8, The 300TD's are highly priced/prized in realtion to spending a bit more and gettting a 400V8.

Do they overheat and generally f.....about like the 350TD.

Come on Gooch tell us about your time with the 400

fcp
fcp's picture

How well do you want it done?

Bodge it in there with a gaffa and a prayer - a few grand.

Professional conversion to factory standard £10K ish (more depending on options) - speak to axel606 here if you are serious about this, he does probably the best conversion going.

Race spec, 450+ HP / factory standard - ask me in a few months... (it'll be much faster than 400 though wink)

prwales
prwales's picture

Piggy Sims had one too