300GD fuel system bleed

3 replies [Last post]
soco677
soco677's picture
GWOA Groups: Members

Due to my forgetfulness/incompetence/stupidity I ran out of diesel on my way to work.
No problem I thought , the old w124 250 just need a good crank over to get her back to life, however the G refuses to start after a refill .
fuel pre filter is full cracked off the injector lines and fuel is apparent but still no go ! the primer handle feels unconnected and under operation does nothing.....

advice/ abuse welcome :0) 

Pistonhead
Pistonhead's picture
GWOA Groups: Committee, Members
Re: 300GD fuel system bleed

Hi,

Just interested to learn just how much fuel you replenished.  You may find, as you have, a difficult bleed/start by just adding five liters of fuel; in some cases I have had, similar problems which resolved by adding between ten to fifteen liters of fuel rather than five.  It is probably due to the tank being dirty, hence their is a difficult pick up of fuel.

It is common for the fuel primer to fail, in which case, you will need to address that issue or alternatively, if you have an auxiliary vacuum pump of sorts, use that to prime your fuel.  I have used Mytivac with a bleeding attachment to prime fuel or latterly, I have a fluid syphoner that can be used for many things amongst some I have used as a big vacuum pump.

Please check to see, when the ignition is turned on, does the fuel cut off lever on the injector pump lift, i.e. opening to allow fuel flow to the pump, if it does not, that your problem.

Cheers,

soco677
soco677's picture
GWOA Groups: Members

Thanks for that , problem solved ....

it appears I have the diesel bug (car was stood for best part of three years prior to my ownership) cracked open the prefilter and full of gunge. Changed filters tank drained away she went.

Cheers ! 

Pistonhead
Pistonhead's picture
GWOA Groups: Committee, Members

Nice to learn you have your vehicle runing.

Although you have drained your tank, it not necessarily mean the body of bacterial growth would have expelled, I would suggest adding to your tank some anti-bacterial so that body is dissolved away keeping the system clean.  I think you need to add to a full tank of fuel or so, but read the instructions from the bottle and act accordingly.

Cheers,