300GD engine won't idle

11 replies [Last post]
Colin
Colin's picture
GWOA Groups: Members

Anyone any suggestions as to why my 1988 300GD Turbo cuts out when I take my foot off the gas, even when warm?
I have just had the pump checked over and it came back as excellent and I've also fitted new injectors.
It's also a bit smokey on start up and won't start without the glow plug but when it has warmed up there is no sign of any smoke, pulls like a train and is soooo much better and quicker than my last G. The turbo conversion was done by Janspeed.
I've not had the car long and it had been off the road for about 4 years.
I've had it at the body shop for some fettling and she's looking great!
All I need to do now is get this irritating problem sorted.

Pistonhead
Pistonhead's picture
GWOA Groups: Committee, Members
Re: 300GD engine won't idle

Hello Colin,

Did Janspeed do any work on the engine or was it simply adding on a turbo?
Seems like the idle speed needs to be re-set at the pump.
If not already done, have the valve clearances checked and adjusted as necessary.
Have a compression test done.
Is the smoke at start up, white or black?
Are the glow plugs working properly, and are all working?
It is also important that the glow plug chamber is clean, sometimes a build up of carbon can damage the glow plugs, the chamber may need to rimmed.
There could be a small amount of air leak at the fuel filter being apparent at idle speeds only.
Have the pre-filter and main fuel filter been changed, if so, how long ago?  In terms of mileage and, or in time? 

Colin
Colin's picture

Hello Rakesh,
many thanks for your reply.
Janspeed did the conversion several years ago and the previous owner doesn't know what they did. I called janspeed and they were going to search for any record of the work but as yet they haven't replied.

The smoke is black but clears away very quickly, I got someone to follow me and they said there wasn't any smoke, even when changing gear, so I think it is probably un burned fuel from turning over sevral times before it catches.

The fuel filters were all changed after I bought the car and it has done circa 800 miles since.

I have a new set of glow plugs, so I will probably just fit them!

The fuel pump was sent away to be checked and is okay, so I will try and adjust it, the manual throttle has worked meantime.

I also require a new rev counter sensor, do you know of anyone who has one to spare?

In addition, I need bushes for all 4 trailing arms, do you know if polybush make them to fit G's?

many thanks for your help.

Much appreciated.

Colin

Pistonhead
Pistonhead's picture

Hello Colin,

Test the glow plugs before changing the set, if your old ones work, you will be changing unnecessarily. I do not think the glow plugs are your problem regarding Idling, because the glow plugs are mainly for cold starting.
How much fuel is in your Tank? Have at least twenty litres in it and then check to see if you still have a problem. Another thought came to mind. It could be that at idle the rate of fuel flow from the tank is not fast enough to overcome any bacterial matter that may be screening the fuel filter in the tank (considering, you have mentioned that the vehicle has been standing for a while), you can get fuel additives from a motor factor for anti bacterial treatment to add to your tank.
My opinion of the M/Benz trailing arm bushes is that they are good enough. From distant memory I think someone in the club did fit some poly bushes, but I am not absolutely certain. Only way to find out is ask the supplier.
For your rev. counter, try, when the top is unscrewed, pull apart the centre sensor form its cap and taking a piece of paper fold into four and lay it on top of the sensor, pushing the top back on; screw the sensor back in, and it could bring the sensor back to life, this has worked for me on a number of occasions, but not always.
Regards,

Colin
Colin's picture

See next comment

Colin
Colin's picture

Hi Rakesh,
This is the third time that I have typed a reply and whenever I press send, a message comes up telling that the website has caused internet explorer to stop working and I lose the lot!
So here goes again!
When I bought the car, took the sender unit out to check for fungus, as I experienced a lot of heartache with this on my last G. Sure enough, it was full of black gunge! I took the sender unit apart and cleaned it all, including the filter. I had already fitted new injectors and sent the pump away to be checked and the fuel lines were all new. Not wishing to take any chances, I decided to seek expert advice and called Wynns, who were very helpful and told not to waste time cleaning the tank out and not to throw away the fuel, simply buy their biocide additive, top the tank up with fresh fuel and add product as directed, then repeat when tank is down far enough to take at least 50 litres, I did that and that is how she stands at the moment with a full tank of treated fuel. I also took the precaution of replacing the inline fuel filter, which actually looked okay but I replaced it anyway.

It isn't the sensor reader that is the problem, the magnetic end that reads the crankshaft must have worked loose and had been chewed up by the pulleys, that is why I need a new one. It may be that there is also a problem with the other end where it plugs in to the thingy on the wing but I can't tell that yet.

I have ordered new bushes for both ends of the trailing arms and also a new sensor and I was a bit shocked when the bill came to £429.00

Many thanks for taking the time to reply.
Kind regards Colin

Pistonhead
Pistonhead's picture

Hi Colin,

That is a shocking price, no wonder there is another member on the forum asking for secondhand bushes.

You have ordered yours now, this gives me something to look at, and that is to source bushes more competitively or research to see if poly bushes are available as an alternative and check on their prices.

I have experienced same problem as you had about loosing your posting before sending it, that is really frustrating, especially when a great deal of time has been investing in the draft.  What I do now or try to, is draft out in note book or a word file, save and copy the draft then paste it into the forum rely and send.

In this way, should their be any interruptions or failed transmission, your draft is not lost and you need not re-draft, simply copy and paste again.

Only after a successful transmission, delete the note book or word file draft.

Please keep me in touch regarding your idle problem.

Cheers,  

Colin
Colin's picture

Hi Rakesh,
Great minds think alike, I did just as you suggested with the last message, of course, it went first time!!!

I called Polybush and Superflex but they don't have anything suitable and I also called some motor factors but they couldn't help, I found an American site www.eurotruck-importers.com and the have the partsonline but they didn't seem any less expensive but an interesting site never the less.
Parts have arrived today so at least the service is good.

I'll let you know how I get on, I might need your advice again, sooner rather than later!!

Thanks again

Colin

Colin
Colin's picture

Hi Rakesh,
Great minds think alike, I did just as you suggested with the last message, of course, it went first time!!!

I called Polybush and Superflex but they don't have anything suitable and I also called some motor factors but they couldn't help, I found an American site www.eurotruck-importers.com and the have the partsonline but they didn't seem any less expensive but an interesting site never the less.
Parts have arrived today so at least the service is good.

I'll let you know how I get on, I might need your advice again, sooner rather than later!!

Thanks again

Colin

there is something bizarre going on here!! One minute the reply is lost, I repost it and by magic, it's there agin TWICE!!!

Pistonhead
Pistonhead's picture

Hi Colin,

I have been researching the poly bush site also, like you there are non available for the G - class.

One supplier manufacturer suggested going to OE parts, which did not answer my query, any how, I will chip along

Cheers,

Colin
Colin's picture

Hi Rakesh,
I have been speaking to motor factor friend of mine, who says if I send him one of each of the old ones, he will take the measurements and do some research to see if he can source alternatives. It won't help me but if he is successful, it could be useful for the club.

Cheers

Colin

Jdring
Jdring's picture
Location: South of Oxford, UK. 87' 230GE SWB Manual, 89' 230GE SWB Auto, 2012 G350Bluetec LWB

Fixwin38/Peter posted this on the MB Pricing thread, by mistake:

Hi Contact "BILL MOSS" this forum he had ten sets+ of polybushes for G wagon control arms.....