28 replies [Last post]
280GE_Dl
280GE_Dl's picture
Pistonhead
Pistonhead's picture
GWOA Groups: Committee, Members
Re: 280GE with LOW Mileage!

Hummmmmph!!!!

I would like to see more, the front drivers seat, pedals and steering wheel would be enough for me.

Cheers,

Mountain Goat 7
Mountain Goat 7's picture
GWOA Groups: Members

Hi 280GE_DI

I assume this is your own vehicle?

Some evidence of the spectacularly low mileage including full set of pictures of the interior would be good.

fixwin38
fixwin38's picture

Hi
some observations
lacks originality
wrong rear bumper and numberplate lights  - modified in 10.000 miles??
treadplate rust cover on bottom of rear door - stored outside ??
too much bloom on the paint work   --  resprayed ??
side covers on air vents missing - removed for respray
wrong wheels
wrong fog light
spare wheel carrier missing
n/s exterior mirror missing
rear mud flaps missing
to be able to verify the mileage as advertised .........
need  to see all old Mots ..service history book with stamps and service invoices
wear on drivers seat is a good indicator of  miles  as is steering wheel and pedal wear

prwales
prwales's picture

Stored for 8 years; so only did 10,000 in the previous 14 years. Not credible as the odometer only goes to 100k, most likely 110,000 miles. Rusty rear door says more about the condition than anything else in this advert. Ridiculously overpriced.

gav.helme
gav.helme's picture

Hi All

Definiatly smell a rat here!

As all the above comments + the visual condition of the vehicle does not represent one that has done 10k.

What is the point of buying a low mileage vehicle if it is rusty, badly resprayed, non genuine and needs a lot of work.

Surely to enjoy the low milage the rest of the vehicle should match and be near faultless

The advert states the drivers seat cover is worn....in 10k, what have they being doing climbing in and out four times a day for

23 years?

The price at £7k is over its value as a minter anyway ..and the bidder has retracted bids 32 times in 30 days and 50+ times in 6 months?

With a feedback score of 8? .............. definiatly a rigged bidder. I have been on Ebay for 9 years with a feedback of 1000+ and only ever

retracted one bid and that was at the sellers request!!!

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mountain Goat 7

See that vehicle has had 9 owners in 23 years yet still only done 10K miles ......... you do wonder how that drivers seat became 'a little worn' ........

280GE_Dl
280GE_Dl's picture

Good evening guys, all of your above points are acknowledged, and I can see that most of you guys are concerned with whether the mileage is genuine or not, but I can truly say I have all the documents here MOT, Mileage from the clock, and service book. I can also provide pictures of the driver cabin for you guys.

Im not a G wagon enthusiast, but do enjoy keeping any car up to standards, it was transferred over to my hands last year, and can honestly say, it drive well, and the paint work is quite good for its age, whether it has been re-sprayed or not, im not sure.

I am definitely not one of those scammers, just someone that does not have a great knowledge in g wagons.

And also regarding the ebay bidder, what do you mean by a “rigged bidder”? I have listed this on pistonheads, with no luck, so iv decided to lower the price and list it on ebay, this guy sent me a message saying he was very interested and bidded, 3 hours after my listing. This has concerned me a bit, that I might have a fake bidder, what happens if his guy wins the auction but does not pay?

I live local and anyone is free to come and check out the car before they buy, I have all original documents here, which you can spend your time looking at.

Im here for advice so please don’t take this a different way and thinking im a scammer of any kind.

bigblock
bigblock's picture

280GE-DI wrote:
 I live local.....

I bet you don't live local to me.

peter perfect
peter perfect's picture

Where is local? Can't find it in google maps

hus55
hus55's picture

local as in kyrenia you plonker pp !

280GE_Dl
280GE_Dl's picture

if you had read the ebay advert, it will show you where local is...but for your sake, its Northampton/East Midlands

peter perfect
peter perfect's picture

so just to confirm, you have all the MOTs from when it first needed an MOT, and the service book is stamped from day 1 ?

Spider1V
Spider1V's picture

one for Goochie???

Spider1V

Roly
Roly's picture

Suprise suprise, the only bidder has retracted his bid due to seller altering the listing. That's 55 retractions in the past 6 months

280GE_Dl
280GE_Dl's picture

Hi, I have MOT sheets from 2005.

280GE_Dl
280GE_Dl's picture

You cannot alter the existing body of content.
An additional link was added to the advert (pistonheads URL)

so i dont understand why you trying to make it sound dodgy..

prwales
prwales's picture

So you can't verify the mileage at all. Remember the clock only goes up to 99,999, so it could be 110k or even 210k as the real mileage.
http://classifieds.pistonheads.com/classifieds/3504623.htm

With this in mind and the external condition of the car your asking price is very optimistic, a diesel in the best of condition would not reach this figure and the 280 auto is in my view the least desirable model in the whole range

280GE_Dl
280GE_Dl's picture

What else would you want to confirm the mileage? look if you are here to criticise, please dont bother..
Where has all the help, guideance gone from a forum aspect?

Close down this thread if you wish Moderators.

Thank you

bigblock
bigblock's picture

I think what other members are finding slightly annoying is that you are advertising the G as a "genuine 10,000 mile" vehicle without offering any proof. Having Mot's from 2005 is not proof of mileage especialy when in the advert you claim the G has been off the road for the last 8 years.  

You have chosen to use the GWOA site to try and sell your G  (side stepping the payment for a classified advert) but you seem unwilling to accept any criticism (by some very knowledgeable members) of the fact that the condition of the vehicle does not match your claimed mileage.

LEEU
LEEU's picture

Not much to add to what Bigblock has said.

fredecosse
fredecosse's picture

Just under 10k on pistonhead ..... 

Mountain Goat 7

Have to agree with what others have said.

It is very difficult to be constructve rather than critical, as you request 280GE_DI, in the absence of proper evidence.

Without proof of mileage going back further than 2005 and any detailed photos (particularly driver's seat/steering wheel), it is very difficult to accept that this G has done only 10K miles.

'If something looks too good to be true ............ it probably is.'

Spider1V
Spider1V's picture

Hmmmm interesting thread......

Can we try NOT to scare away new members, with our immense knowledge of the G? Very daunting being a new member, excited over our G and enthusing about prices etc...

We all make some very valid points, however maybe , until newer member come up to speed, we could refrain from the blunt, direct approach????

Just a thought...

Spider1V

bigblock
bigblock's picture

Hi Spider

If the guy was a genuine G enthusiast I think you would be correct, however he appears to be some type of trader ( I think his link to ebay confirms that) and the claim of a "genuine" 10,000 miles in his advert does not stand up given the information he has provided.

Despite a great deal of advice from members the seller has refused to accept that his mileage claims are probably incorrect. 

It is this claim coupled with an overinflated price that has led to the criticism and blunt approach, which in my opinion is justified because his advert could mislead a genuine G enthusiast.

Spider1V
Spider1V's picture

Hi BB,

You make a fair comment, and I think if he is a trader then fine, he deserves the blunt responses , especially if he is misleading a genuine enthusiast. 

Maybe next time someone comes on board with this type of request, we should enquire first if they are trade? Just my over cautious concern that sometimes we can get things wrong and put off people who would genuinely join the GWOA and our forum...... just a thought...

Spider1V

Jdring
Jdring's picture
Location: South of Oxford, UK. 87' 230GE SWB Manual, 89' 230GE SWB Auto, 2012 G350Bluetec LWB

You know what, reading this for the first time, I think 280GE_DI (Dau Ly) got about the right response.  Its mainly the 10k miles that is the issue.  The rest of the ad is almost credible ( but why claim its never been in an accident?  How would he know).  Ultimately, he's trying to get way too much for a car which obvious has more than 10k, more likely 110k.  Maybe he was conned himself when he took this on.

Also selling a Celica on Pistonheads- number plate is pretty evident it is actually his (unless he is even sneakier and just stuck it on for effect - I doubt it).  The chaps not a car dealer, but sells lots of car stuff and buys/sells many items.  He has 100% feedback and plenty of sales, so no problem there - perhaps the claim of bid-rigging was too much.

To me, he just advertises high, hopes to get a 'low ball' offer and accepts it after the auction ends.   He's at liberty to advertise high, especially if he has little knowledge of the worth.  Its buyer beware.

So, although the G forum can be a bit incestuous, I think this is exactly the sort of value it provides to all - challenging the statements to get to the reality.

fixwin38
fixwin38's picture

Hi
There is a "dealer" advertising  in Autotrader a 1989 SWB 460 280ge with some interesting "extras" ABS... Electric mirrors...adjustable steering column   well worth the asking price !!!
and then you are expected to believe the mileage.. service history..etc .it is also on E.Bay so at least you can walk away when you find it  not as described...said "dealer" is advertising a red LWB 463 which when researched has" less to offer"  than advertised ....

LEONIDAS
LEONIDAS's picture

Perhaps the mileometer is working erratically. Mine stopped recording on several occasions and restarted on its own accord.  I have not replaced the gauge  since the speedometer is still working, so to date I cannot honestly say with any degree of confidence how many miles the truck has done. Thus MOT certificates are not really a reliable confirmation of actual mileage. On the other hand  dates of oil and filter changes, service records  with dates and work done, the condition of the pedals, driver seat, polished steering wheel etc may give some idea of mileage ??????