OM60x engine to 460/1

No replies
tony.bruegger
tony.bruegger's picture
GWOA Groups: Members

There are many postings on forums on this subject so I decided to continue this topic with some thoughts of my own.

By fitting 5 [ easy ] or 6 cylinder [ more challenging] you are able to get away from the heavy outdated 617 iron head to the fine family of 2 and 4 valve cross flow alloy head turbo intercooled engines with mechcanical f i pumps.You also get the benefit of being able to use a wide range of transmissions and clutch / flywheels including 6 speeds.The engine/gearbox chosen will nearly always be possible to fit using existing chassis mounts - gearbox mtg on 460 autos may need fabricating.

You can lower the base of the chassis mtg by 40mm for 6 cylinder engines to give a more pleasing engine bay fit [ recommended ].
You can extend to rear by 125mm for 5 cylinder engines to gain room for e/fans condensors and i/coolers without moving grille foward.,although you will need to move rad back the same 125mm.

Use wedge type mounts [ I fit o/s nylon bush 33 x 65 to refurb] with 602223 07 04 and 08 04 alloy brackets  block to wedge mount. Note sump clearance on .... 07 04 . Some   sumps may need notch for clearance , 662's will need sprinter sump or factory sump [expensive] and oil pick up shortening. ALSO on 662 drill t/cover to fit sprinter type dipstick tube assy [11.5 mm?] .

Radiator hoses....I suggest  460501 26 82 top hose ,and 460501 27 82 bottom hose with 601203 04 74 thermostatat cover,this gives factory route over and behind alternator [use 90a max to avoid s/box fouling] and go to a 51mm ,3 core rad recore.

Intercooler....factory fits/car ones are awkward and inefficient. Use 3.5 t Iveco van cooler.YOU have to cut inner wings and make good in order to do this !See MA-B pics] DONT try to reuse 662 installation or under bumper one
Inlet manifold...again necessary to fabricate 60mm outlet onto existing manifold. Non turbo manifolds can be fitted with a 75mm sq alloy box section plenum to do this.Delete egr valve

Clutch and transmission thoughts ,and pics,to follow.